Food Story: This dish is prepared during Ganesh Chaturthi. The coating is prepared with wheat flour, hence it is very easy to prepare. (unlike the Ukdiche Modak)
Fresh Coconut 1 cup
Sugar 3/4 cup
Cardamom pwd. 1/2 tsp
Raisins 1/4 cup
Cashew nuts 1/4 cup
Wheat flour 1 cup
Maida 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Oil 2 tbsp
Water 3/4 cup
1. Grate coconut.
2. Mix grated coconut and sugar and keep on slow fire.
3. Add the others ingredients and put off flame when sugar starts melting.
4. Mix wheat flour and maida.
5. Add salt.
6. Heat oil and add to to the flour.
7. Mix with the help of a spoon or spatula.
8. Knead into a dough using water little at a time.
9. Make 11 equal portions of the dough.
10.Roll into puris with thin edges.
11.Fill the puris with coconut stuffing and gather the edges by pleating them with your fingers.
12. Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry the modaks.
13.Ganapati Bappa Morya!